Dispatches from the domestic frontline

Thursday 25 September 2008

BC backlog saves the day!

In another example of our collective domestic ineptitude, when my old friend Megan* called on Saturday to invite herself over, we had nothing in.

But of course, though we have gotten through BC brownies, BC oatmeal cookies, Eagle Brand Turtle Temptations and Pilsbury brownies, there were - really, thank heavens - still a few BC boxes to get through.

Terry, who loves cooking, doesn't really do baking, so it took some cajoling to get him to make the carrot cake while I attended to something inevitably involving tidying or childcare. We used the most reliably non-stick cake tins,** which, it turned out, were a tad too small, so we had two beautifully mushrooming cakes to sandwich. Fortunately, my completist father also supplied the BC cream cheese frosting, so when I went up the road to fetch Megan, I charged Terry with sandwiching and frosting the cakes. As a novice, he queried the best way to sandwich, and asked me if he should slice the top off one to make it a flatter bottom layer. I said yes, and left him to it.

The cake was delish, and we got through it:



But rookie error: you up-end the bottom cake when you glue them together with frosting. We had a frosted mushroom atop a frosted mushroom.


*We met aged 15 on a local coach trip to see The Cure at Wembley. I think we probably see one another twice a year at best, with virtually no chit chat in between.

**Tellingly, the most reliably non-stick cake tins belonged to my grandmother, who died in 1999.

No comments: